Sunday, November 25, 2012

One month down...

We've officially survived the first month of deployment! Just a little over ten more to go. Hopefully they'll fly by and soon we'll be counting down the days. For now, it's a small victory and we'll take it.

So far, it's been about how I expected. At first, it felt very normal because Nathan was often gone for a few weeks at a time for training anyway. It took a little while to sink in that this was different and we were just getting started, and now it's starting to feel like a long time. We have been able to talk frequently, but not as many long, undistracted conversations as I'd hoped. We have been able to video-chat a couple of times, but not on a regular basis at all due to Nathan's long days and lack of consistent internet service.

He leaves his current stateside location very soon to settle in to the overseas location where he'll be for the rest of the time. Once he gets his room assignment there, figures out his work schedule, gets internet set up, etc...we should be able to plan "dates" in advance and get a little more consistent with our communication. Adelyn LOVES seeing him on video, so I will be glad to let her talk to him more often and show off all of the new things she can do and say. We'll also be introducing baby sweet T to her daddy as often as possible so that she knows his voice and eventually his face.

This month has been full of wonderful blessings in addition to the hard parts. We have been served and encouraged so well by our family and friends, and it has really blessed my heart to feel so cared about by so many. We have received cookies on our porch, had dinners sent over, had people move to sit with me in church so I wouldn't be lonely, had our trash taken out on many occasions, even had our stubborn toilet plunged...and many more acts of kindness. Some days, being home and alone has been what I needed, but on the days that loneliness has crept in and I've started to feel uneasy, God has been so gracious in sending a call or text from the perfect person at the perfect time. It has been a beautiful month that has made me extremely thankful.

Speaking of counting down...we can do that pretty easily for baby girl's impending arrival. My due date is in 12 days, so she could be here any time, or at the VERY most, 26 days from now.

Tomorrow, I am having an external cephalic version--ECV done. I will check in to the hospital around noon, get an IV started, blood drawn, paperwork signed, and monitors hooked up. Once we are settled and have a baseline heart rate for baby, one last ultrasound will be done to make sure she hasn't tricked us and turned unexpectedly, and then my doctor will get to work. Sometimes babies turn with just a little guidance and it is quick and easy, while other times they are very hard to turn and it can be very painful and difficult. Sometimes they won't turn. Sometimes they turn back again. We'll just have to hope and pray for the easy kind. My favorite of all my doctors is the one doing the procedure, and she is super sweet and kind and reassuring, so I know that will help me relax. My wonderful doula will also be with me to help me relax and get through the discomfort, and also to be ready in case my water breaks or labor begins during the process and we end up sticking around for delivery.

I have my bag, the new diaper bag, and Adelyn's overnight bag packed and ready for action. My house is clean, bills are paid, and as much planning as can be done has been. It may be that we're back home tomorrow afternoon with no big changes, but if it happens to be THE day, we are as ready as we can get. I'll be stopping by my chiropractor on the way to the hospital tomorrow for one last adjustment to make sure I'm as ready for the procedure as I can be as well.

If this ECV doesn't work, I have an accupuncture appointment set up for Thursday. Apparently I am getting REALLY crunchy, thanks to the influence of many of my organic-minded friends. I am pretty willing to try whatever it takes, so it could be, if nothing else, an interesting experience.

For now, I'm hoping for what could be one last night of good sleep, waking up with my sweet funny girl, and trusting that God knows exactly how and when this next step in our journey begins.


How far along?  38 weeks, 2 days
Total weight gain: 30lbs
Maternity clothes? are getting too short to cover this belly!
Stretch marks? nope--thought I had found two, but they were just marks from my pants
Sleep:  I wish I could sleep for a week straight before this girl comes out!
Best moment this week: my baby shower last Sunday--getting blessed with lots of diapers, wipes, cute little outfits, and other fun things

Miss Anything? sleeping on my belly, eating spicy things without heartburn, putting on pants without a lot of pain...all things that won't last much longer
Movement: a lot less than before since there's not much space, but I still feel those little feet wiggling around here and there
Food cravings: tuna melts
Anything making you queasy or sick: eating too much--my stomach has a baby head resting right beside it, so if it gets too full it can feel pretty icky
Gender: she has a lot of pink and purple stuff to wear, so she better be a girl!

Labor Signs: contractions are getting serious at night, but never quite serious enough yet...just practicing still
Symptoms: 
heartburn all the time!
Belly Button in or out?  out out out

Wedding rings on or off? 
off...I'm just swollen enough that none of my shoes fit besides flip flops...that's fun
Happy or Moody most of the time: emotional
Looking forward to:  tomorrow--seeing what comes next

1 comment:

  1. you're doing great kelly! austin and mike have been able to video chat pretty much every night, i hate that you haven't been able to do that! makes a huge difference, i even got to skype with him too!

    good luck with delivery and adjusting to two... it's great that you have such a wonderful support system. thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete