Sunday, June 24, 2012

An experiment in crunchy living

So I came across this idea on Pinterest a few months ago and thought it was interesting. The blog shows a lady who had wavy/curly/frizzy hair. She started the "no 'poo" plan and her hair became much smoother, shinier, and had really well defined curls instead of being halfway there. I decided to "pin" the post and consider it for later. Well, it's later.

I made a batch of 1 quart water (which is 4 cups, for those of us who don't remember elementary school conversions) with 1/4 cup baking soda. I then mixed 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 1 cup water. I put both in the best squirty containers I could find:
(baking soda cleanser on left, vinegar rinse on right)

Here is my before hair:
This isn't the BEST picture to display my hair, but you can see that it is semi-thick and has some frizz. This is at the end of the day, so the frizz is much less serious than it is when it first dries. Also, it appears I badly need a trim because my hair is all kinds of uneven...good to know. I also have really oily hair--MUST be washed every day, and even shampooing at night gives me icky hair by about mid-morning the next day...so this will be interesting.

The lady whose blog led me to this got much better curl out of her hair over time, so I'm curious to see which way my semi-wavy hair will go. I'll try to take pictures every few days so that the progress will hopefully be evident. Hopefully the smell of the vinegar doesn't make me gag too much along the way. I've also read that the amounts of each ingredient have to be tweaked according to hair type/texture, so I may have to make new batches based on the results of the first few tries.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment